What to Bring
It’s essential to read this entire page so you can understand our process and know what to do. Don’t skim through nor skip any topics. Every week someone misses their flight, gets lost, or drives out after the day has been cancelled by simply not following these instructions exactly. Don’t let that be YOU!
Without a secretary, the pilot can’t answer the phone during a flying day… So BE SURE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE. Don’t make more than 1 phone call nor leave more than 1 voicemail per day because it is normal to wait until the next day for a return phone call..
Voicemail acts as a “secretary” for most of the communication between us, so you usually don’t have to wait to talk to a live person. Instead listen to the daily message that lists the flying dates for the week and the latest update for that day’s flying. If the pilot is able to answer then he can provide all the information you need. During a flying day, the message is updated several times to relay up-to-the-minute schedule changes in case we have to postpone or cancel your flight at the last minute with just 50 minutes warning before your scheduled time due to un-forseen weather changes or equipment maintenance issues!
Upgrade your Adventure!
If you have our basic 1000 foot Co-Pilot flight, you can get more ”Bang for your Buck” by upgrading to our more Adrenaline-filled “Fear Factor” Aerobatic Adventure, or double your airtime with our best, longest, and highest “Extreme Altitude Mile High” Experience.
On a Co-Pilot SkyRide, you will cruise around the countryside gently at 1000 feet enjoying the Scenic view for approximately 10-15 minutes (plenty of flying time for the timid). But perhaps you want your first bucket-list flying experience to be the best ever!
To get the Spine-Tingling Chills & Thrills you desire, upgrade to a Fear Factor SkyRide where we double the altitude to 2000 feet (since 1000 feet isn’t high enough when we dive at 2000 feet per minute)!! You will defy the force of Gravity and pull some G’s as you pick up speed to over 100 kph in less than 4 seconds (that’s faster than most drag race cars can accelerate), followed by many weightless stalls, straight down dives, climbing wingovers, and spiral spins! Its better, higher, and faster than any ground-bound Roller Coaster you have every experienced!!! Its just $40 extra for so much more! Its best to upgrade in advance by phone with a credit card when you book your reservation so we can spend more time flying with you. You can upgrade at the last minute before your flight (or even during the flight if you gain some courage once in the air).
If you like to take everything to the MAX, then go for our best Extreme Altitude Mile High SkyRide to 5,280 feet with 25-30 minutes airtime! It’s so high that you will probably get above the clouds see the most incredible 360 degree view of the countryside over 100 km away! Above the clouds you will feel the smoothest air for the best hands-on control, plus you can choose to experience the wildest and longest aerobatics possible (because the aerobatics in our “Fear Factor” flight may be over too quickly for the most adventurous who can truly handle it)! So up-size your SkyRide to EXTREME for just $80 (that’s just $20 per thousand feet extra altitude). You will be rewarded with 2-3x longer airtime, 5x the altitude, 10x the view, and 100x more excitement! WOW!! We prefer that you upgrade at the time of your reservation since we will arrange our day’s schedule to spend more time flying with you, and to make sure you bring warmer winter-weight clothing. Sometimes we may be able to accept your upgrade before your flight only if we have enough spare time that day.
Bring your Friends
Help spread the word in advance of your flying date and tell them to phone with a credit card to be added to your booking date and time. Plus, if there’s 4 or more fliers in your group, we will provide a higher flight upgrade free of charge ($40 value) plus get photos & videos for 1/2 price (just $20)!
Spectators: You can bring as many family or friends you wish to witness your adventure. They will be able to watch your flight from our facility, and then see the photos and videos of your flight afterwards!
Cancel a Reservation, Re-Scheduling
You can cancel by phone up to 24 hours in advance and we will remove your reservation from the schedule with no penalty so you can book again some other time with no expiry date. However if you don’t show up for your appointment and haven’t left a cancellation message 24 hrs in advance (so we can book someone else in your slot), then you have forfeited your flight. But in the case that something unexpected happens, we will offer to sell you another discounted flight that is $100 off the regular price. That way our expenses will be covered to have an empty slot, and you can still fly by purchasing another time slot at a discounted price.
We may have to cancel your reservation within 50 minutes of your scheduled time due to bad weather or equipment maintenance to make sure that you have a perfect day to enjoy your flight in safety and comfort. You may be rescheduled as often as is necessary, or even postponed to fly next season without any penalty or expiry of your credit.
Here are the 5 steps you must follow on the day of your flight: (PRINT one copy for each person in your group)
1. Print a Map for each driver: In winter, go to http://asessippi.com/findus.shtml and follow the directions to the Asessippi Ski Resort located 15 minutes north of Russel, Manitoba. In summer, our flying base is in Steinbach where there are 2 airports, and 2 entrances to our airport. So don’t get confused, and don’t use GPS or Google, please print OUR map and directions to Steinbach when you click the “Find Us” tab.
2. What to Bring: Dress to be comfortable for the temperature on the ground, but you must bring all the extra clothing to change into before flying. It could be more than 20 degrees Celcius colder up in the air PLUS a 60 kph wind chill to make it feel even colder (so it could be below 0 degrees at altitude with wind-chill even in July & August when the temperature is warmer than +20C on the ground)!
During Fall, Winter or Spring (Nov-April): Even though we fly on days that feel mild on the ground, you must bring extra clothing as if it was the middle of a very cold winter -30 degree day!! So, when the temperature on the ground drops below zero overnight, or when there is snow on the ground, bring your warmest Winter Parka & Ski Pants (or a Snowmobile Suit), Ski Gloves, LongJohns to wear under, Warm winter Socks, Insulated Snow-Boots, and a thin Balaclava or Neck Tube to wear under the helmet. If there is any doubt, bring everything from the car and we’ll tell you what you need to wear.
So in the summer (May-Oct): You must bring your very warmest thickly insulated Fall/Winter Jacket with a wind-breaking shell that’s warm enough for a very windy day below 0 degrees, a Fleece/Sweater to wear under the jacket, a pair of good wind-breaking fall/winter Ski Gloves, Runners or Sandals with a heel strap (NO FLIP FLOPS), and Sun Glasses.
3. Bring your Voucher, Gift Certificate, or Proof of Purchase & pay the GST owing: All flights and Gift Certificates purchased directly from us or Asessippi Ski Resort are fully pre-paid. But if you have a voucher purchased online you still owe the GST on the purchase price. We can scan an online voucher code directly from your cell phone, then you can pay the GST by exact cash (preferably to save time) or credit card before flying to cover 5% of the amount you paid for the flight.
4. Phone for a Weather Check: It is necessary for everyone to phone 204-333-9464 and listen to the recorded message (or speak to the pilot) just as you are getting ready to leave home the day of your flight. You will hear the latest updated message to ensure we are actually going to be able to fly or if there are any schedule changes that day (please only call once or you will tie up our only phone line). If you are driving out and the weather looks worse, then you should call again to double check for any changes. You may also call once the previous evening after 6pm when we can only provide a tentative weather forecast, so we may still postpone or cancel your flight with just 1 hour notice. If you call earlier than 6pm, you will only hear an old recording from the previous day that is not intended for you.
If you are driving from farther than 1 hour away and are only coming out to fly and not participating in other sports, then we prefer to reschedule your flight to a more favorable day if there is any chance of unflyable weather to save you a long drive.
5. When you arrive: Come to our Kiosk located inside the front door of the main lodge at your scheduled time. If you are early, then enjoy the bar & cafeteria, or participate in all the other activities offered. If nobody is at the Kiosk, then we may still be flying and a sign will specify when the pilot will return. However, just like any commercial flight, in aviation there are always delays for your comfort or safety, so there is rarely a punctual schedule due to un-foreseen weather holds, maintenance issues, or delays caused by the late arrival of previous guests. It is normal that your reservation may start 5-30 minutes later than expected, so be prepared to wait. You can go outside and watch us flying overhead with previous customers, and see us land in the field across the creek at the bottom of the valley.
For your own safety and comfort, we are forced to cancel about 25% of our reservations due to bad weather, equipment malfunction, or if the pilot or his family is sick. So it may be necessary to make another reservation before having a suitable day to fly. We want to make sure that you have a perfect day to enjoy your flight, so you could be rescheduled as often as is necessary, or even postponed until next season without any penalty or expiry.