What to Bring
It’s essential to read this entire page so you can understand our process and know what to do. Don’t skim through nor skip any topics. Every week someone misses their flight, gets lost, or drives out after the day has been cancelled by simply not following these instructions exactly. Don’t let that be YOU!
Without a secretary, the pilot can’t answer the phone during a flying day… So BE SURE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE. Don’t make more than 1 phone call nor leave more than 1 voicemail per day because it is normal to wait until the next day for a return phone call..
Voicemail acts as a “secretary” for most of the communication between us, so you usually don’t have to wait to talk to a live person. Instead listen to the daily message that lists the flying dates for the week and the latest update for that day’s flying. If the pilot is able to answer then he can provide all the information you need. During a flying day, the message is updated several times to relay up-to-the-minute schedule changes in case we have to postpone or cancel your flight at the last minute with just 50 minutes warning before your scheduled time due to un-forseen weather changes or equipment maintenance issues!
Upgrade your Adventure!
If you have our basic 1000 foot Co-Pilot flight, you can get more ”Bang for your Buck” by upgrading to our more Adrenaline-filled “Fear Factor” Aerobatic Adventure, or double your airtime with our best, longest, and highest “Extreme Altitude Mile High” Experience.
On a Co-Pilot SkyRide, you will cruise around the countryside gently at 1000 feet enjoying the Scenic view for approximately 10-15 minutes (plenty of flying time for the timid). But perhaps you want your first bucket-list flying experience to be the best ever!
To get the Spine-Tingling Chills & Thrills you desire, upgrade to a Fear Factor SkyRide where we double the altitude to 2000 feet (since 1000 feet isn’t high enough when we dive at 2000 feet per minute)!! You will defy the force of Gravity and pull some G’s as you pick up speed to over 100 kph in less than 4 seconds (that’s faster than most drag race cars can accelerate), followed by many weightless stalls, straight down dives, climbing wingovers, and spiral spins! Its better, higher, and faster than any ground-bound Roller Coaster you have every experienced!!! Its just $40 extra for so much more! Its best to upgrade in advance by phone with a credit card when you book your reservation so we can spend more time flying with you. You can upgrade at the last minute before your flight (or even during the flight if you gain some courage once in the air).
If you like to take everything to the MAX, then go for our best Extreme Altitude Mile High SkyRide to 5,280 feet with 25-30 minutes airtime! It’s so high that you will probably get above the clouds see the most incredible 360 degree view of the countryside over 100 km away! Above the clouds you will feel the smoothest air for the best hands-on control, plus you can choose to experience the wildest and longest aerobatics possible (because the aerobatics in our “Fear Factor” flight may be over too quickly for the most adventurous who can truly handle it)! So up-size your SkyRide to EXTREME for just $80 (that’s just $20 per thousand feet extra altitude). You will be rewarded with 2-3x longer airtime, 5x the altitude, 10x the view, and 100x more excitement! WOW!! We prefer that you upgrade at the time of your reservation since we will arrange our day’s schedule to spend more time flying with you, and to make sure you bring warmer winter-weight clothing. Sometimes we may be able to accept your upgrade before your flight only if we have enough spare time that day.
Bring your Friends
Help spread the word in advance of your flying date and tell them to phone with a credit card to be added to your booking date and time. Plus, if there’s 4 or more fliers in your group, we will provide a higher flight upgrade free of charge ($40 value) plus get photos & videos for 1/2 price (just $20)!
Spectators: Bring as many family & friends as you wish to witness your adventure. They can watch your flight from our facility, and then see the photos and videos of your flight afterwards!
Cancel a Reservation, Re-Scheduling
You can cancel by phone up to 24 hours in advance and we will remove your reservation from the schedule with no penalty so you can book again some other time with no expiry date. However if you don’t show up for your appointment and haven’t left a cancellation message 24 hrs in advance (so we can book someone else in your slot), then you have forfeited your flight. But in the case that something unexpected happens, we will offer to sell you another discounted flight that is $100 off the regular price. That way our expenses will be covered to have an empty slot, and you can still fly by purchasing another time slot at a discounted price.
We may have to cancel your reservation within 50 minutes of your scheduled time due to bad weather or equipment maintenance to make sure that you have a perfect day to enjoy your flight in safety and comfort. You may be rescheduled as often as is necessary, or even postponed to fly next season without any penalty or expiry of your credit.
Here are the 5 steps you must follow on the day of your flight: (PRINT one copy for each person in your group)
1. Print a Map for each driver: It is difficult to find our hanger as there are 2 airports in Steinbach, 2 entrances to our airport, and our building is behind a row of other buildings. You have to find your own way since the pilot can’t answer the phone to give you directions when he is busy flying. Do not use GPS or Google – you must print OUR map and directions by clicking the “Find Us” tab.
2. What to Bring: Dress to be comfortable for the temperature on the ground, but you must bring all the extra clothing to change into before flying. It could be more than 20 degrees Celcius colder up in the air PLUS a 60 kph wind chill to make it feel even colder (so it could be below 0 degrees at altitude with wind-chill even in July & August when the temperature is warmer than +20C on the ground)!
So in the summer (May-Oct): You must bring your very warmest thickly insulated Fall/Winter Jacket with a wind-breaking shell that’s warm enough for a very windy day below 0 degrees, a Fleece/Sweater to wear under the jacket, a pair of good wind-breaking fall/winter Ski Gloves, Runners or Sandals with a heel strap (NO FLIP FLOPS), and Sun Glasses.
During Fall, Winter or Spring (Nov-April): We fly on days that feel mild on the ground, but you must ALWAYS bring extra clothing as if it was a very cold -30 degree day due to Windchill! So, when the temperature on the ground drops near zero overnight, bring your warmest Winter Parka & Ski Pants (or a Snowmobile Suit), Ski Gloves, LongJohns to wear under, Warm winter Socks, Insulated Snow-Boots, and a thin Balaclava or Neck Tube to wear under the helmet. If there is any doubt, bring everything and we will tell you what you need to wear before your flight.
3. Bring your Voucher, Gift Certificate, or Proof of Purchase & pay the GST owing: All flights and Gift Certificates purchased directly from us are fully pre-paid. But if you have a voucher purchased online you still owe the GST on the purchase price. We can scan an online voucher code directly from your cell phone, then you can pay the GST by exact cash (preferably to save time) or credit card before flying to cover 5% of the amount you paid for the flight.
4. Phone for a Weather Check (please make just one phone call the day of your flight): It is necessary for everyone (SkyRiders, Students, & Club Pilots) to phone just once exactly 50 minutes before your scheduled time as you get ready to leave home to hear the latest updated message to ensure we are actually going to be open for flying. Since the automated weather stations update at 5 minutes after the hour, and we need another 5 minutes to record a message – that is why you are expected to call at 10 minutes after the hour and no sooner! We can’t have the phone ring early to interrupt while recording your message, and you will be listening to an older recording not intended for you.
If you live farther than Winnipeg (70 km or more from Steinbach), then you must tell us when making your reservation to arrange a special time for you to phone. Otherwise you will get the wrong message and you could arrive after we have already postponed your reservation or cancelled the rest of the day as wind increases and thunderstorms develop. So the only reason you should be calling sooner than 50 minutes before is if you need to cancel your reservation at the last minute. (Example: You live in Winnipeg, so you should only call once no sooner than 9:10am for a 10:00am booking). It is ok if you arrive a few minutes late as our flying tends to run late throughout the day and so you will probably have to wait for the previous group to finish.
Even with a confirmed reservation, your booking will not be finalized until the pilot hears the phone ring and sees your name and number on the call display 50 minutes in advance. The pilot lives in Winnipeg and so he will not leave home to drive all the way out to Steinbach until the phone actually rings to confirm that you are also on your way out to Steinbach! Please don’t call en-route, because the pilot needs the full 50 minutes to get there as well. Sometimes the pilot may answer the phone, but if you don’t phone then the pilot assumes that you have some medical problem or personal difficulty and so by assumption you have cancelled your reservation by not following these instructions, and so nobody will be there when you arrive without phoning first.
5. When you arrive: Walk up the stairs to our office, it is the Magenta color room on the 2nd floor of the hanger immediately to the right at the top of the stairs. You can come into the room at your scheduled time or later. But if you are early, you should wait by the pool table or play a game while waiting for your reservation time to begin. The hanger is a very busy place, so waiting upstairs separates you from 10 or more SkyDivers waiting downstairs. DO NOT knock on the door if you can see through the window that a lecture is in progress, nor interrupt the pilot if he is busy with previous customers before your scheduled time! If the room is dark and the door is locked, then see if there is a message on the door when he is expected to return. If there is no message then you probably arrived before the pilot that could be delayed in traffic driving from Winnipeg, or he is getting fuel for your flight. Just like an Air Canada flight, in aviation there are always delays so there is never a punctual schedule due to un-foreseen weather holds, maintenance issues, or delays caused by the late arrival of previous guests. It is normal that your reservation may start 5-30 minutes later than expected, so you don’t have to rush to arrive before your reserved time slot.
For your own safety and comfort, we are forced to cancel about 25% of our reservations due to bad weather, equipment malfunction, or if the pilot or his family is sick. So it may be necessary to make another reservation before having a suitable day to fly. We want to make sure that you have a perfect day to enjoy your flight, so you could be rescheduled as often as is necessary, or even postponed until next season without any penalty or expiry.